Attaching a file
Just about anything can be attached to a note, including files, images and audio. You can even attach snapshots taken with your phone or desktop computer's camera.
What kinds of files might I put into Evernote?
- Scanned contracts
- Spreadsheets and presentations
- Forms and other documents
- Scanned receipts
- Logos and other images for your business
How to attach a file
Any type of file can be attached to a note, but attached files can't increase your note size beyond the maximum note size for your account. More about maximum note sizes
Mac and Windows Desktop
Find the file that you wish to attach, then drag and drop the file into:
- An Evernote note. Evernote will add the entire file as an attachment
- A notebook or onto the Evernote icon. Evernote then creates a new note with the file attached
- Open the note to which you wish to attach a file
- Open the attachment menu:
- iPhone, iPad, and iPod Touch: Tap the attach image (picture frame) button
- Android: Tap the '+' icon
- Windows Phone: Tap the '...' icon > attach a picture
- Select the file or type of attachment you wish to add
Open and edit attachments from inside a note
Note: You can preview attachments from any device, but the ability to edit an attachment is currently supported on desktop computers.
To preview and edit attached files directly from Evernote:
- Open the note and locate the attached file
- Right-click (Windows) or select the 'Quick Look' preview button, the eye, (Mac) on the attached file
- Select Open or Open With
- Select a compatible application to preview and edit your file
Once you've opened the file with a supported application, any edits you make will be saved and previewed from Evernote.
Save an attachment from a note to your computer
If you'd like to save a file to your computer, you can right-click the file and choose Save As...