Effective Date: September 26, 2013 - What’s new »
I. Information Collection and Use
What Information Does Evernote Collect About Me and Why?
We collect very little personal information about our users. A list of the “Personal Information” Evernote may collect, and why we collect it, follows:
- Your username, email address, and contact preferences. This lets us create your account, provide you with convenient and personalized access to your account, and deliver and support the Service. This information also helps us communicate with you about your use of the Service, product announcements, software updates and orders you have placed in the Evernote Market, as well as respond to your requests for assistance (including providing account verification support if you’re having difficultly accessing your account). In addition, we may use your Personal Information to send you marketing emails and special offers. For more information, please see the section below entitled, “Will Evernote Send Me Emails?”
- For Premium users and customers of the Market, your information required to complete a commercial transaction on our site. We use this information to enable and fulfill your transaction.
- The geographic area where you use your computer and mobile devices (as indicated by an IP address or similar identifier), and the language you select when interacting with the Evernote Service. We collect this information in order to help us deliver and support the Service, including by localizing your Evernote Service experience. It also helps us improve our understanding of how our users use the Service.
- The Evernote products and services you use. This information helps us deliver and support the Service and respond to your requests for assistance. We also collect this information to improve our understanding of how our users use the Service and engage with the Evernote Market.
- Any Content you add to your account. We don’t use this information for any purpose other than to make sure it is available to you when you use the Service.
- For purchases of physical goods from the Evernote Market, a shipping address and, in certain cases, contact information. We use this information to deliver the purchased products to you or your intended recipient.
- If you redeem a promotional code (which may be included in a coupon, gift card or Evernote Points), the distributor of such code may provide us with a unique device identifier for your computing device or your telephone number. We use this information to redeem the promotional code or to provide account verification support if you’re having difficultly accessing your Evernote Service account.
Evernote’s web site and applications also collect and receive information from your computer or mobile device, including the activities you perform within your account, the type of hardware and software you are using (for example, your operating system or browser), and information obtained from cookies (see our Cookie Information Page for more information). When you access the Evernote Service or Evernote Market via an Evernote Software application, that application will request access to certain information on your computing device. For more information on these application permissions, please visit our Data Usage page.
Gathering this kind of information helps us administer the Service and the Evernote Market, provide convenient and personalized user access, improve the features and usability of our products and Service, analyze user trends and information about users’ use of our Service (including the extent to which our users share or make public notes and notebooks), collect information about use and growth of the Service in specific regions, and evaluate the content and organization of our site. We do NOT collect information about you to deliver any targeted advertising to you, or track your visits to any third-party websites.
In addition, we automatically gather non-personally identifiable information that indicates your association with one of our business partners or certain promotions. We use this information to determine the amount of revenue share payments to make to partners with whom we might have such arrangements and to provide anonymized aggregate reports.
Tell Me More About The Tracking Information Evernote Collects?
What Is Evernote’s Approach to Information Collected From Children?
Evernote complies with the US Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act (“COPPA”), which requires us to notify and obtain consent from a parent or guardian before we collect, use and disclose the personal information of children who are under 13 years of age. We do not knowingly collect personal information from children under 13 years of age without such consent and, if we learn that we have inadvertently done so, we will promptly delete it. For more information on Evernote’s approach to children’s use of the Service, please see the section of our Terms of Service entitled, “Can Kids Use Evernote?”
Will Evernote Send Me Emails?
II. Information Access and Disclosure
Does Evernote Share My Personal Information or Content?
Evernote is not in the business of selling or renting user information, and we only disclose information when:
- We have your explicit consent to share the information.
- We need to share your information with affiliated and unaffiliated service providers who process data on our behalf and subject to strict data protection requirements.
- We need to share your information with affiliated and unaffiliated service providers to fulfill your product or service requests, including sales, delivery and support for certain products from the Evernote Market.
- We believe it is necessary to investigate potential violations of our Terms of Service, to enforce those Terms of Service, or where we believe it is necessary to investigate, prevent or take action regarding illegal activities, suspected fraud or potential threats against persons, property or the systems on which we operate the Service.
- We determine that the access, preservation or disclosure of information is required or permitted by law to protect the rights, property or personal safety of Evernote and users of the Service, or is required to comply with applicable laws, including compliance with warrants, court orders or other legal process.
- We need to do so in connection with the sale or reorganization of all or part of our business, as permitted by applicable law.
Does Evernote Review My Notes?
As a rule, Evernote employees do not monitor or view your personal information or Content stored in the Service, but it may be viewed if we believe our Terms of Service have been violated and confirmation is required, if we need to do so in order to respond to your requests for user support, or we otherwise determine that we have an obligation to review it as described in our Terms of Service. Your Notes also may be viewed where necessary to protect the rights, property or personal safety of Evernote and its users, or in order to comply with our legal obligations, such as responding to warrants, court orders or other legal process.
Does Evernote Ever Make Any of My Personal Information or Content Public?
No. Note, however, that certain portions of the Evernote web sites and Service, such as user notebooks designated as “public” and our user forum, are open to any online viewer. Any information that you post in these locations can be read, collected and used by anyone and could enable others to send you unsolicited messages. Evernote enables you to determine whether or not to post personal or otherwise sensitive information to publicly accessible areas of our site, so you should carefully consider how you use the services. Evernote is not responsible for any publication or use of any Personal Information you choose to post in these locations.
III. Data Storage and Transfer
Where Is My Data Stored?
When you use Evernote Software on your computing device, such as by using one of our downloadable clients, Content you save will be stored locally on that device. When you synch your computing device with the Service, that Content will be replicated on our servers, which are located in the United States.
Please be aware that Personal Information and Content submitted to Evernote will be transferred to a data center in the United States. If you post information to the Evernote sites you are confirming your consent to such information, including Personal Information and Content, being hosted and accessed in the United States.
How Can I Access or Correct Information Evernote Holds About Me?
Users who wish to (i) access any Personal Information that we hold about you; (ii) request that we correct or delete the Personal Information that we hold about you; or (iii) request that we not use or stop using your Personal Information for marketing purposes may do so by contacting us at compliance AT evernote DOT com. We will comply with such requests to the extent permitted or required by law.
A Special Note to Users in the European Union and Switzerland
If you live in Switzerland or the European Union, please note that not only is Switzerland-based Evernote GmbH the data controller for all information associated with your Evernote Service account, but Evernote GmbH is also the data controller for any payment, order, shipping and other information you provide when you purchase an item from the Evernote Market, even though such orders will be placed with and fulfilled by U.S.-based Evernote Corporation, as described in our Commercial Terms .
Evernote complies with the US-EU Safe Harbor Framework and US-Swiss Safe Harbor Framework as set forth by the US Department of Commerce regarding the collection, use and retention of personal information collected from users residing in the European Union and Switzerland. We have certified that we adhere to the Safe Harbor Privacy Principles of notice, choice, onward transfer, security, data integrity, access and enforcement. To learn more about the Safe Harbor program, and to view our certification page, please visit http://www.export.gov/safeharbor/
A Special Note to Customers of the Evernote Market in Japan
If you live in Japan and are a customer of the Evernote Market, please note that Evernote GmbH is the data controller for all information associated with your Evernote Service account, but Evernote GmbH also has a contractual relationship with a third party reseller for the Japan market permitting joint use of your personal information with that third party (including addresses, names, telephone numbers, email address, credit card information, as well as the content of shopping transactions and customer support inquiries). Information about our Japan reseller may be found at our Evernote Market FAQ .
How Secure Is My Data?
Evernote is committed to protecting the security of your information and takes reasonable precautions to protect it. However, Internet data transmissions, whether wired or wireless, cannot be guaranteed to be 100% secure, and as a result, we cannot ensure the security of information you transmit to us; accordingly, you acknowledge that you do so at your own risk. Once we receive your data transmission, we make all commercially reasonable efforts to ensure its security on our systems:
- Your Evernote password is protected by encryption, and only you have access to it.
- Your personal information and data stored in our systems is protected by various physical, electronic and procedural safeguards. It is housed in secure facilities, and Evernote restricts physical and network access to these facilities to select trained staff. We regularly evaluate our technologies, facilities, procedures and potential risks to maintain the security and privacy of our users’ data.
- Certain Evernote services support the use of standard SSL encryption to protect data transmissions. However, this is not a guarantee that such data transmissions cannot be accessed, altered or deleted due to firewall or other security software failures.
If Evernote learns of a security system breach, we may attempt to notify you and provide information on protective steps, if available, through the email address that you have provided to us or by posting a notice on our web site. Depending on where you live, you may have a legal right to receive such notices in writing.
IV. Information Deletion
What Happens If I Want to Stop Using Evernote?
You can delete Content you have posted to any notebook at any time, and you can stop using the Evernote Service at any time. If you delete information and material from a notebook and then sync your account, it will no longer be accessible to you or others who may access the Service, but residual copies of your deleted Content may continue to exist on the Evernote Service’s back-up and archiving systems for up to one year due to the nature of those systems’ operations. If you cancel your account, the Content in your account will not be deleted unless you purposely delete that information, and sync your account before you cancel your account. Learn how to effectively delete your Content here.
What Happens If Evernote Closes My Account?
If Evernote closes your Service account due to a Terms of Service violation, then you may contact Evernote to request deletion of your data, and Evernote will evaluate such requests on a case by case basis, pursuant to our legal obligations.
V. Contact Us
How Can I Contact Evernote?
305 Walnut Street
Redwood City, California 94063 USA
Attention: General Counsel
8006 Zurich, Switzerland
Attention: Legal Notice
Evernote Do Brasil Servicos De Aplicacoes Ltda
Avenida Paulista, no 2.300
Edifício São Luiz Gonzaga
CEP: 01310-300, São Paulo/SP
Attention: Legal Notice